For day 5 of National vegetarian week I thought I would share this delicious vegetarian version of Diet Cola chicken – sounds so weird but it is one of my favourite meals – the sauce is really bbq-y and nommy. This is syn free if following Slimming World and serves 4. It is also carb free so you can have this on a Slimming World SP day. Recipe adapted from the Slimming World website.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, 1 yellow and 1 green pepper, chopped into chunks – plus any other speed veg you fancy
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pack of Quorn vegan or vegetarian chicken style pieces
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce — usually not vegetarian so either use a veggie version or exclude this
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 8 tbsp passata with onions and garlic
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 330ml can diet cola
- 200ml veg stock
- 200g sugar snap peas
- Place a large pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a high heat.
- Add the quorn, peppers and onion and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the diet cola, stock, passata, tomato purée, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and dried mixed herbs and stir well.
- Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Add the sugar snap peas, stir and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the veg is tender. You want the sauce to be quite thick and sticky.
I serve this with cauliflower rice (Syn free and SP) which you can buy in Tesco and other supermarkers ready made in the fridge section, or you can grate or food process a cauliflower, microwave covered in cling film for 3 ½ mins. I like to add salt and pepper to mine, or you can also add garlic salt, spray with garlic frylight, add chopped onions and peas and so on to make it a bit more tasty.
I also love making cauliflower egg fried rice which is so nice with a homemade Chinese, again it is syn free and SP friendly! When I cooked it for my family they didn’t realise it wasn’t actually rice!
Egg fried cauliflower rice –
½ medium cauliflower, around 200g of florets or buy it ready made
½ teaspoon whole or ground spices e.g. garam masala, five-spice, cumin
2 medium spring onions, finely chopped, or ½ an onion
150g or however much you fancy of frozen or fresh peas – you could add other veg too
1 medium egg
Splash of soy sauce
- Grate or food process the cauliflower until it is in small pieces like rice
- Fry the spices and onion in frylight in a large frying pan for 2 minutes.
- Microwave the cauliflower rice covered in cling film for 3 minutes
- If using frozen peas defrost them, add the cauliflower and peas to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes
- Beat the egg (I normally add a dash of milk and some seasoning). Move everything to one side of the pan and pour in the egg into the other half. Stir as it scrambles, for 1-2 minutes as if making scrambled eggs.
- When the egg is almost set as scrambled egg mix it thoroughly though the cauliflower. Add soy sauce to taste and keep on the heat for a few minutes more
Hope you enjoy this, it is soooo tasty!